There’s nothing I like more than to use up left over broccoli and stilton from Christmas and make a delicious soup. This has got to be my favourite flavour of soup. It’s perfect for this time of year. Not only is it great to use up left overs, but it’s hearty and warming. Just what you need on a cold winter’s day.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 knob butter
- 1l vegetable stock
- 1 head broccoli, roughly chopped
- 140g stilton, crumbled
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large deep pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the celery, leek, potato and butter. Stir until melted, then cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and add any chunky bits of stalk from the broccoli. Cook for 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the rest of the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Blend using a stick/hand blender until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stir through the stilton and season with black pepper
- Serve with bread or croutons