I saw a beautiful photograph of these edible roses
on Pinterest months ago, and I’ve been meaning to re-create them myself ever since. Finally I had a day to myself this weekend with no plans, so I decided to use up some leftover puff pastry (from making these vegetable tarts
) and make them.
The recipe is super easy. In fact it only require 5 ingredients – apples, puff pastry, lemon, jam and sugar (for decoration only). And in just 5 easy steps you can make these delicious and beautiful looking puff pastry apple roses! It’s really so simple. I wish I’d tried to make them earlier but I’m so glad I’ve finally got around to it.
The only thing I will say is, that depending on how many you wish to make, you will need a lot of puff pastry and quite a bit of apple! For just 4 roses I used half a pack of standard puff pastry and 2 apples. That being said, they’re still super cheap to make and relatively healthy – if you count jam slightly healthier than sugar. They certainly felt healthier to make than cakes anyhow.
Ingredients (makes 8)
1 packet of puff pastry
4 small apples
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees. Dust your work surface and roll out the puff pastry so it is square in shape and a couple of milimeters in thickness and cut into 8 equal strips
2. Cut the top and bottom off each apple, cut in half, remove the core and then cut into super thin slices. Place in a bowl and squeeze one whole lemon over them so they don’t go brown.
3. Add a tablespoon of jam to each strip of puff pastry. Gently smear across the length of the pastry with a knife.
4. Lay the apple slices across the strip so that the edge of the apple is just sticking out above the pastry. Fold the pastry in half and then roll up.
5. Place each one into a cupcake baking tray. I cut strips of foil and placed those underneath each rose to make it easier to pull them out afterwards. Bake for 25 minutes, remove and let stand for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool. Dust with a little icing sugar.