I saw a beautiful photograph of these edible roses on Pinterest months ago, and I’ve been meaning to re-create them myself ever since. Finally I had a day to myself this weekend with no plans, so I decided to use up some leftover puff pastry (from making these vegetable tarts) and make them.
The recipe is super easy. In fact it only require 5 ingredients – apples, puff pastry, lemon, jam and sugar (for decoration only). And in just 5 easy steps you can make these delicious and beautiful looking puff pastry apple roses! It’s really so simple. I wish I’d tried to make them earlier but I’m so glad I’ve finally got around to it.
The only thing I will say is, that depending on how many you wish to make, you will need a lot of puff pastry and quite a bit of apple! For just 4 roses I used half a pack of standard puff pastry and 2 apples. That being said, they’re still super cheap to make and relatively healthy – if you count jam slightly healthier than sugar. They certainly felt healthier to make than cakes anyhow.
Ingredients (makes 8):
- 1 packet of puff pastry
- 4 small apples
- 1 lemon
- Apricot jam
- Icing sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees. Dust your work surface and roll out the puff pastry so it is square in shape and a couple of milimeters in thickness and cut into 8 equal strips.
- Cut the top and bottom off each apple, cut in half, remove the core and then cut into super thin slices. Place in a bowl and squeeze one whole lemon over them so they don’t go brown.
- Add a tablespoon of jam to each strip of puff pastry. Gently smear across the length of the pastry with a knife
- Lay the apple slices across the strip so that the edge of the apple is just sticking out above the pastry. Fold the pastry in half and then roll up.
- Place each one into a cupcake baking tray. I cut strips of foil and placed those underneath each rose to make it easier to pull them out afterwards. Bake for 25 minutes, remove and let stand for 5 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool. Dust with a little icing sugar.