I can’t take credit for this recipe. It’s a recipe by my wonderful friend Charlotte. She shares many bakes on her blog, perfect for those with a sweet tooth. And she has a weekly newsletter of recipe ideas that you should most definitely sign up to!
I spotted this particular recipe on her Instagram. Her food photography is so striking it’s hard not to click through and have a scroll.
As I adapted a couple of ingredients from her original recipe, I thought I’d share it on my blog too. But all credit must go to Charlotte.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp of tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 400g of tinned butter beans, drained
- 150g of passata
- 2 slices of nice bread, toasted
- 2 eggs, poached
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan over a low heat, and add the onion. Cook over a low-medium heat for 5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato purée, smoked paprika, thyme, brown sugar, soy, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Drain and rinse your beans in a sieve then add to the pan along with the passata. Simmer for 5 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile toast your bread and get started on your poached eggs.
- Season you beans with a little salt and lots of black pepper. Serve on top of your toast. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley and finally top with your poached egg. Season with a little more black pepper.