During lockdown 2.0 a good friend of ours sent us Anna Jones’ recipe book ‘A Modern Way to Cook’. A collection of healthy and easy to cook vegetarian dishes, the book has already become a favourite of ours.
We’ve made a few recipes from it and loved every one of them. This one in particular was such a hit that I felt the need to share it with you all.
To be enjoyed either as it’s own meal, served with sourdough for lunch. Or as a side dish as part of dinner party spread. Whichever you decide, you certainly won’t be disappointed.
Cooked under the grill, the courgettes take on a deliciously sweet taste, with slightly smoky charred edges. The grill isn’t part of the oven we often use. In fact, I forget it’s their entirely, but this recipe has inspired me to use it more often.
- 4 medium courgettes, grated
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 bunch of fresh thyme
- 230g jar of roasted red peppers, drained and diced
- 550g cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 lemon
- Preheat your grill to high. Scatter the grated courgette onto a large baking tray. Drizzle with a little oil and cook under the grill for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, put a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the red onion and a splash of olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes and stir through the thyme leaves.
- Once the onions are browned, add them to the tray of courgettes. Top with the red peppers, tomatoes and garlic and continue to cook under the grill for a further 10 – 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
- Put the frying pan back on a high heat and add a little more olive oil. Add the chickpeas, salt and pepper, the zest of one lemon and cook until the chickpeas begin to go crispy (about 10 minutes).
- In a separate frying or griddle pan cook the halloumi.
- Once the courgette mixture has softed and charred in places, scatter over the chickpeas, play the halloumi on top and serve.