I normally find thinking of a dish for dinner quite stressful, especially when we have very little food in the house. However, sometimes I really enjoy it, particularly if we have a couple of ingredients left over in the fridge that need eating. In this case it was a couple of courgettes. We hadn’t used our sprializer in a while and so I really want to make courgetti, but I couldn’t think of what to make with it.
From simply searching for courgetti recipes online, I came across this interesting Thai coconut courgetti soup idea. The colours looked amazing in the dish and the ingredients sounded great. It’s not very often we cook with coconut milk or coconut cream, so it sounded good to make something a little different. The original recipe doesn’t call for many vegetables, but we love to pack our food full of healthy, colourful veg. So we have added a number of other ingredients ourselves, making this recipe more unique. We also added rice, which I stirred through the soup, rather than serving on the side of. I was unsure of how this would end up tasting, but it worked perfectly.
This is a beautiful dish! Not only does it look fantastic, but it tastes delicious and smells great too. It’s a dish that appeals to all of the senses and is the perfect balance between sweet and spicy. If you like food that tastes a little indulgent but has that bite of freshness with a punchy kick, then this is the recipe for you!
Thai Coconut Courgetti Soup Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 small brown onions, diced
- 2 red chillis, sliced
- 4 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 large handful mushrooms, quartered
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2x 400ml coconut milk
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 handful coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 courgette, spiralized
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 lime, quartered
- Coconut cream to serve
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pan or wok on a medium heat. Add the onion and chilli, and fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the curry paste and stir thoroughly.
- Add the yellow pepper, mushrooms and spring onion (leaving a couple of slices to serve). Cook for a further 2-3 minutes. At this point put the rice on to cook following packet instructions.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and some of the coriander, leaving some to serve. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add to the soup, along with the courgetti.
- Stir through the fish sauce and juice from 1 lime.
- Serve with a lime wedge each, a sprinkle of coriander and a couple of slices of spring onion.