We made this delicious dish at the weekend for lunch, but it would equally make a great dinner option. Instead of using a more common red kidney bean and meat combo, we’ve used black beans and added a touch of sweetness with grilled pineapple. The mix of ingredients and strong flavours, work perfectly together. If you like sweet and sour, or sweet and spicy, this is the dish for you.
Add a kick with chilli flakes and spicy peppers, balanced perfectly with creamy avocado and cooling soured cream. You could serve these wraps along side a fresh and crunchy salad, or with a lime drizzled corn on the cob.
Black Bean & Charred Pineapple Wraps Recipe:
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 250g pineapple chunks, drained (or use fresh)
- 1 chilli, sliced
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 400g can of black beans
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp hot paprika (Spanish paprika is the best)
- Sour cream to serve
- Avocado, sliced to serve
- 1/2 lime, quartered
How to make pineapple salsa:
- Cook the chopped pineapple on a high heat in a griddle pan until blackened. Allow to cool in a bowl.
- Add half of the sliced chilli, plus the chopped cherry tomatoes and half of the chopped fresh coriander. Mix together well. Leave to one side.
How to make frijoles:
- Add a knob of butter to a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Stir through cayenne pepper and thyme.
- Add the entire can of black beans (including the water). Stir thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes, before mashing with the back of the spoon or a potato masher.
- If the consistency is too thin, cook for longer to thicken slightly.
How to make the wraps:
- While the frijoles are cooking. Add the pepper strips to the pan that you cooked the pineapple in, with a splash of oil and the hot paprika. Cook on a high heat until slightly charred and softened.
- Lay two mini (or one large) wraps on a plate, begin by adding a couple of spoonfuls of frijoles. Layer on top the pineapple salsa, before adding the strips of green pepper.
- Finally add the avocado, sour cream and the remaining coriander, before finishing with a drizzle of freshly squeezed lime juice.