Pasta dishes, and Italian cuisine in general, are one of my favourite foods. I’ve tried my hand at making my own pasta, and cooking up a variety of fresh and packet pasta throughout the seasons. Whether it’s a spicy tomato ragu or a light lemon and olive oil dressing, pasta can be so versatile and I’m sure I could eat it every day without getting bored.
This dish screams spring with its vibrant green asparagus, fresh salmon and tang of lemon. You could easily substitute the vegetables for others of your preference, but for me – asparagus, chestnut mushrooms and cherry tomatoes are always a winning combination… Although I have to admit, I did forget to add peas, which I had been meaning too. Either way, a dollop of crème fraiche and a touch of Dijon mustard, make this dish delicious!
Ingredients: (serves 4):
- 600g fresh tagliatelle
- 2x salmon fillets
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, each cut in half
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 punnet chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- Cherry tomatoes
- 4 large tbsp crème fraiche
- 2 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Olive oil, salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line an oven proof dish with foil, add the salmon fillets skin down, season with a little salt and black pepper. Add a knob of butter to and squeeze of lemon. Fold the foil into a parcel and bake for 20 – 25mins.
- Meanwhile, add a drop of oil to a frying pan on a medium heat and fry the garlic for 1-2 mins. Turn the heat down to low and add the chestnut mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.
- Cook the pasta following packet instructions. Place a colander over the pasta pan, add the asparagus to the colander and cover with the pans lid. Steam the asparagus for 4-5 mins. Remove the asparagus from the colander into a bowl with ice water, to retain its green colour and stop it from cooking further.
- Remove the salmon from the oven, unwrap the parcel and flake it up.
- Drain the pasta, retaining a little of its water. Add the crème fraiche, Dijon mustard and pasta water to the pasta pan. Pour in the flaked salmon, garlic, mushrooms and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and lots of lemon juice.
- Serve with the tomatoes resting on top.