I’m back this week with another vegan recipe. I found this particular vegan dish through the review I did of Mindful Chef a few weeks ago. I always love finding new and exciting recipes, and this one didn’t fail to impress. Not only is it packed full of healthy ingredients, it’s full of flavour with curry powder, desiccated coconut, creamed coconut and fresh ginger.
It’s also served alongside broccoli ‘rice’, rather than a classic basmati, making it even more healthy. Mindful Chef are all about focusing on ingredients that are good for both our bodies and minds. They cut out white carbs and replace them with alternatives, you might not otherwise think of.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 30g creamed coconut
- 200ml boiling water
- 200g sweet potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 red pepper, chopped into square pieces
- Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 240g chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 broccoli, grated
- 1 lime
- 2 tsp desiccated coconut
- Dissolve the creamed coconut in a jug of 200ml boiling water.
- In a medium-sized pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat and add the ginger and sweet potato. Fry for 5 mins, then add the red pepper and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Then add the curry powder, creamed coconut and chickpeas and simmer for 5-10 mins until the sauce has reduced. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat another saucepan over a gentle heat and add the grated broccoli with 2 tbsp cold water. Cook for 3-4 mins, stirring regularly until the broccoli has slightly softened.
- Stir through half of the juice from the lime to the broccoli rice.
- Spoon the broccoli rice on two warm plates and top with the Sri Lankan-style sweet potato, red pepper and chickpea curry. Drizzle over the remaining lime juice and scatter with the desiccated coconut.