We made this delicious dish at the weekend for lunch, but it would equally make a great dinner option. Our serving sizes are rather big, so depending on how much you eat, this recipe could serve 4 (1 wrap each), with a side salad and perhaps some grilled corn.
You may look at the photos and wonder what’s so special about this recipe. Instead of your usual red kidney beans and meat combo, we’ve simply used black beans – or frijoles, and added a touch of spicy peppers for a kick, plus grilled pineapple for a sweetness. The mix of ingredients and strong flavours, work perfectly together. If you like sweet and sour, or sweet and spicy, this is the dish for you.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 400g can of black beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, half chopped finely for the frijoles and the other half chopped into strips
- 1 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp hot paprika (Spanish paprika is the best)
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 small handful of chopped coriander
- 1 handful of cubed pineapple
- Sour cream to serve (remove if vegan)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 knob of butter (remove if vegan)
How to make pineapple salsa:
- Charr the chopped pineapple on a high heat until blackened.
- Allow to cool in a bowl. De-seed and finely slice red chilli.
- Mix in half of the chilli with the pineapple, cherry tomatoes, and coriander
How to make frijoles:
- Fry onion and garlic in butter until softened and browning, on a medium heat.
- Stir through cayenne pepper and thyme.
- Add the entire can of black beans (including the water). Stir thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes, before mashing with the back of the spoon or a potato masher.
- If the consistency is too thin, cook for longer to thicken slightly.
While the frijoles are cooking…Add the onion strips and green pepper to the pan that you cooked the pineapple in, with a splash of oil and the paprika.
Serve everything on top of your wraps with some sour cream.