This quick and easy Spanish style, prawn and chorizo stew, is one of those recipes that we come back to time and time again. There’s two main reasons for this – 1 it’s ridiculously easy to make, and 2 the flavours are delicious!
We mastered our own recipe for this dish and like I said, we come back to it often, having made it countless times now. However, as part of our HelloFresh trial we were sent a recipe card of their version, (which is almost identical to ours), so I thought I’d share theirs.
Their recipe is only for the stew, which might be okay as a lunch option or a light dinner, but as the dish only includes chickpeas it can be a little unfulfilling. We always serve ours with rice, which we’ve included in this recipe, but otherwise you could have a loaf of warm bread to dip in, or some orzo or perhaps even spaghetti. It’s up to you!
How to make prawn & chorizo stew:
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 200g brown rice
- 165g raw unfrozen prawns
- 225g chorizo ring
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp vegetable stock
- Cut your onion in half through the root, peel and chop into small cubed pieces. Chop your chorizo into 1/2 cm thick rounds. Finely chop the chilli and peel and finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add your onion and chorizo, and cook for 4 mins, stirring occasionally, until your onion softens and the chorizo starts to crisp. Once your onion has softened, stir in your chilli, garlic and paprika, and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and vegetable stock pot. Refill the empty tomato tin two-thirds with water and add this to the pan too. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 mins until the mixture has thickened and most of the water has evaporated.
- At the same time add boiling water to a large sauce pan over a medium heat and add your rice. Bring to the boil and then simmer following packet instructions.
- Roughly chop the parsley.
- Once your stew has thickened, throw in the prawns, together with a good pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. Combine well and cook for 3-4 mins or until your prawns are cooked through. Stir through most of your parsley, leaving some for sprinkling on top afterwards.
- Drain the rice and spoon into large bowls. Carefully spoon over the stew mixture, season with some more black pepper if needed and sprinkle over the rest of the parsley.