There’s nothing I like more than waking up and enjoying a healthy, colourful breakfast. At weekends, in particular, I like to take the time to make a breakfast I feel good about eating. There are many ingredients out there that not only look good, but have health benefits that leave you feeling good too. They’re colourful, packed full of vitamins and minerals, and taste fantastic. I love to mix my breakfast routine up, using a variety of fruits and nuts.
I created this recipe in partnership with Bensons For Beds who are promoting healthier breakfast alternatives, that allow you to wake up looking better as well as feeling better. This recipe can easily be adapted to use whichever toppings you wish but I always stick with a base of Greek yoghurt and nutty granola. Greek yoghurt has fewer carbohydrates and sugar than other yoghurts, and is a great way to boost your protein levels, which help keep your skin healthy. I’ve chosen to use blueberries and dark chocolate as a topping on this particular yogurt bowl, because together they add the perfect sweetness to the dish. Blueberries also happen to be high in vitamin C. In fact, one cup of blueberries provides 24% of your daily intake of vitamin C, which in turn helps promote collagen in the skin that improves the skin’s look and texture. Whilst dark chocolate (over 70% cacao) has been said to increase blood flow, giving the skin a more dewy glow. So you can get younger looking skin without giving up your favourite sweet ingredients!
How to make a healthy, Greek yoghurt bowl.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 cup (12 tbsp) Greek yogurt
- ½ cup granola
- ½ cup blueberries
- 4 squares of dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt to season
- Begin by lightly crushing the walnuts and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with salt and honey, and place under a medium grill for 2-3 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Halve the Greek yogurt and granola between two breakfast bowls, resting the granola on top of the Greek yogurt to one side.
- Add a strip of blueberries to each bowl and using a peeler, carefully create dark chocolate shavings by peeling the back of your block of dark chocolate.
- When your walnuts are toasted, remove from the grill and place on top of your Greek yogurt next to the blueberries.
- Finally sprinkle the pomegranate seeds and dark chocolate shavings on top to finish.