When I made this dish last week, I had a feeling that I’d already blogged about it, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere, so I must not of. Apologies if I did though and you remember it! This is a super simple, delicious pasta recipe that we make frequently. It’s one of our go to dishes when we’re stuck for ideas or short on time.
The addition of mustard and creme fraiche to chicken is beautiful! Mustard adds the perfect kick to an otherwise creamy, indulgent meal.
This time we added a bed of raw spinach for further health and adding a fresh, crisp touch. We always choose to use mushrooms, tomatoes and courgette to ours but you could add whatever vegetables you prefer. It’s one of those dishes where you add and take away as much or as little as you like – putting your spin on it!
Ingredients (serves 2)
1 chicken breast, cubed
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 courgette, chopped
1 large handful of cherry tomatoes
1 large handful cup mushrooms, quartered
150ml vegetable stock
1 generous swig of white wine
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 heaped tbsp creme fraiche
2x knob of butter
Spinach and black pepper to serve
1. Begin by heating a small knob of butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the chicken and fry on both sides until cooked and slightly browned. Remove from the pan and add the another small amount of butter.
2. Gently fry the onion until softened, add the garlic, courgette and tomatoes. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the chicken back into the pan plus the vegetable stock and white wine. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 5-7 minutes until slightly reduced.
4. At this point put the spaghetti on – bring to the boil in a large pan of water and simmer following packet instructions.
5. Once the stock and wine is slightly reduced add the mustard and creme fraiche, and stir thoroughly.
6. Drain the spaghetti and mix into the pan of chicken and vegetables. Serve on top of a bed of spinach and season with black pepper.