Last weekend Stew had been out for the day, so I decide to rustle us up something for dinner. We had a couple of sweet potatoes left over and a bag of spinach that was on it’s way out. I hopped online to get some inspiration of a recipe I could hopefully make, including both ingredients. I often do this if something needs using up. You’ll be surprised, there’s pretty much a recipe for every kind of combination of ingredients online. It’s always helpful to have a range of herbs and spices in the cupboard too, as this makes creating new recipes super easy. Especially when it’s late on a Sunday and your local shop has already closed!
After searching for only a couple of minutes I came across a recipe that was perfect! A sweet potato and spinach bake, that I had all the ingredients for and also happen to incorporate cheese – something else that had been lurking in the fridge for a little too long.
Both Stew and I like to have plenty of vegetables in most meals and as this bake included quite a bit of cheese, and sweet potatoes can sometimes taste a little sickly in large amounts, we served it with some fresh veg.
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- 25g grated cheese
- 150ml single cream
- Dried or fresh rosemary or thyme (if using fresh, you will need only a couple of sprigs)
- 1 garlic clove
- Butter, for greasing
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Place the cream, herbs and garlic into a small pan and bring to just before boiling. Turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper and leave to one side.
Put the spinach in a colander and pour over boiling water. Leave to drain.
Grease your oven proof dish and place one layer of sweet potato in the bottom.
Make sure your spinach is fully drained. You might want to gently squeeze it with your hands, if it has cooled enough.
Sprinkle the spinach over top of the potato and then add another layer of sweet potato.
- Pour over the cream mixture, making sure to remove the clove of garlic.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables or make it non veggie by adding lamb or pork chops.