Part two of my six day vegetarian challenge with AO.com. If you missed last weeks, take a look here, and read all about my week of vegetables! This is the first ever pie we’ve attempted, and I’m really pleased with the results. I have to be honest, we didn’t make the pastry from scratch. Maybe next time!
Pie is one of my favourite meals, but normally I would opt for a meat pie. However, this vegetarian mushroom, spinach and potato pie, was delicious! So much so in fact, that we’ve since made it again adding blue cheese… so good!!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 250g mushrooms
- 200g spinach
- 150g new potatoes, cooked
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 130ml vegetable stock
- 1 heaped tsp of creme fraiche
- 2 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful of chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Wilt the spinach in a colander by pouring boiling water over it.
- Heat half of the oil in a large pan and fry the mushrooms on a high heat, until golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the vegetable stock, potatoes and mustard. Bubble for a few minutes until reduced.
- Season, adding the chopped parsley and then remove from the heat. Add the creme fraiche and spinach, and mix thoroughly. Pour into a pie dish and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Brush the filo pastry with the rest of the olive oil, quarter the sheets and loosely scrunch up and lay on top of the pie filling.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve with vegetables of your choice.