I don’t mean to brag, but how GOOD to do these tortillas look? Oh my! I absolutely love Mexican food, and we make black bean frijoles all the time, but how have we never made Huevos Rancheros before, I don’t know! Every element on the plate is delicious – spicy salsa, garlic black beans, fresh avocado and all season with a dash of lime.
There’s also something about a colourful dish that makes me happy. It also happens to be ridiculous easy to make. You just need a few pans and everything sort of comes together at the same time, so a few pairs of hands wouldn’t got a miss too!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 tortillas
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 jar salsa
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, quartered
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees on grill.
- Add the butter, onion and garlic to a sauce pan on a medium heat and cook for 1-2 minutues. Add the black beans (including the juice), stir thoroughly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the cherry tomatoes and coriander to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and a little lime juice. Leave to one side.
- Pour the salsa into a small pan and gently heat.
- Place the tortillas under the grill and grill for 1-2 minutes on either side, so they crisp up a little.
- Add a drop of oil to a frying pan and crack in your eggs. Cook on a medium heat until the white has cooked.
- Mash the black beans with a potato masher and stir to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and begin constructing your Huevos Rancheros by adding an egg on top of each tortilla.
- Spoon the black beans along one side of the egg, being careful not to break the yolk. Lay the warmed salsa next to the black beans. On the other side lay the sliced avocado and sprinkle with the fresh tomato and coriander salsa.
- Season with a dash of salt and black pepper and more lime juice. Enjoy!