If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen this dish on my Instagram story. Whilst we were in the Peak District recently, for my birthday, we were staying in a beautiful Airbnb. It was a converted barn with a stunning open plan kitchen and living area. We couldn’t resist staying in one evening, and making the most of our beautiful home for the night. So we bought a few ingredients from the local shop, a bottle of wine and settled in for the evening.
It can be hard when you’re away to cook at home, because you often don’t want to buy lots of ingredients, as you’ll most probably end up wasting them. Especially if you’re tied to buying packs of vegetables as many supermarkets now stock, rather than loose. Luckily our Airbnb had the basics – olive oil, butter, salt and pepper. So we were able to buy a couple of loose potatoes, some tasty hake, a pack of asparagus, some vine tomatoes and large loose tomatoes, a lemon and a small bag of parsley. Not too bad, especially when you see what we created with it. I can’t take any credit though, as it’s all Stew’s presentation work.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 fillets of hake
- 3 medium potatoes, quartered
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 pack of asparagus tips
- 8 vine tomatoes
- 1 small pack fresh parsley, chopped
- Knob of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Begin by placing your potatoes in a pan of boiling water with a little salt. Bring to the boil and then simmer for around 20 mins.
- Meanwhile prep your salsa by combining the diced tomatoes and half of the parsley, plus a little salt and pepper to season.
- Add a drop of oil to a frying pan and fry your vine tomatoes gently. After a minute or so, add the hake and fry for a couple of minutes on both sides.
- At the same time add a colander to the top of the potato pan, place your asparagus tips inside and cover with the pan lid. Steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the colander and keep to one side. Drain the potatoes, add a knob of butter and gently crush with a fork, rather than mashing. Stir through some more parsley.
- Serve by placing the potatoes in the bottom of a dish, lay the asparagus and hake fillet on top, pour over some salsa, and top with the vine tomatoes.
- Season with more black pepper and parsley if needed.