I first blogged about this one cup pancake recipe a little while ago when I used it to make sweet blueberry and Greek yogurt ones with a drizzle of honey. However, I have been wanting to try it again but making a savoury style dish instead. The base is so easy to make. Simply whisk together 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk and 1 egg. You can then add whatever ingredients you like!
On this occasion I chose to use feta, tomato and spring onion. The feta and tomato worked together well. The feta melted beautiful and created a gooey texture, whilst the tomatoes added a fresh, crisp edge. However, the spring onion was a little over powering. I think if I was to re-create these again I would perhaps swap out the spring onions for olives and spinach instead. Or perhaps a little basil for more flavour.
To be honest the possibilities are endless! You can add whichever sweet or savoury ingredients you wish. I’d like to try ham and mushrooms sometime too, kind of like an omelette but in pancake form.
Ingredients (serves 2)
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup semi skimmed milk
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 large handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
1x avocado, halved, de-stoned and sliced
Salt and pepper
1. Whisk the flour, milk and egg in a large bowl.
2. Add three quarters of the spring onion, tomato and feta and stir thoroughly.
3. Heat a touch of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Using a ladle, spoon in the mixture 1 or 2 at a time (depending on the size of your pan).
4. When the mixture begins to bubble, use a fish slice to carefully flip each pancake over and cook on the other side.
5. Serve the pancakes on a bed of rocket, sprinkle over the remaining tomatoes, feta and spring onions and a pinch of salt and pepper.